My blog is called "Creative Smiles" because my designs are the result of incorporating mistakes. With fumble fingers that drop whatever they are holding - repeatedly, it takes a lot of giggles, smiles and creative patience during my crafting process. xx

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Lovely Dahlias

June's blog candy is here.
For complete directions to recreate this card, please click here.



Good Morning, blogging friends - and to all my sweet new followers, and Janie, Tammy and Tracy.

I am so excited to share a beautiful new Dahlia stamp set
because 
it was a special request from Yours Truly 

to the fabulous Sparkle N Sprinkle Staff

and  AND and  and -- the set is  GORGEOUS!


I just had to create a dimensional card - even each flower has layers on top. Can you see them?


Are you a flower lover? I am especially fond of Dahlias. Their amazing, large blooms are mesmerizing with fabulously intense color hues, and beautifully heady blooms. Unfortunately, they will not grow here in central Florida. That is why I asked the Staff at Sparkle N Sprinkle if they would please create a life-like Dahlia set. This gorgeous set is the result.



Isn't it a beautiful set?



And talk about EASY and FUN to use! Coloring dahlias is fun because you can't go wrong in choosing a color - they are available in just about every color of the rainbow!

Surprise! No chalks, watercolors or copics! My shaped easel card is in "bumble bee" colors. The flowers are colored with regular old Prisma Color Pencils - no gamsol. To provide shading for the flowers, leaves and butterflies total of 10 colors were used, including the aqua "halo".

NOTE: I put together a mini tutorial of how to shade with Prismacolor pencils. Just click here.

Of course, I could not let resist adding some glitzy-glittery embossing powders -

and yes--

Even the leaves are shaded by applying the EPs with the darker colors in the shadows!

Have you tried that yet? It is an enjoyable technique because there is no worrying about staying in any lines.

I hope you can see the difference in each of the die cut leaves - there are 3 colors of EP coating them. Just click on the photo for a larger picture if that will help.

How is EP coloring, or EP shading accomplished?

There are a couple ways of achieving shading with EPs.

(For all the products used on this card, please see the grocery list at the bottom of this post.)

  1. Smoosh VersaMark on piece, dredge with a single color of EP, heat set, and then use a Pen Boss or VersaMarker and "color" certain places on the leaf, applying a different color EP, and heat set again, and so forth.
  2. Smoosh Versamark on piece, and with a tiny spoon or other applicator, carefully apply EP to part of the leaf. Tap off excess. Then dredge the remaining exposed VersaMark with your other color(s) of EP and heat set all at once (this is my favorite method).
  3. Finally, follow the directions in #2 and then use the VersaMarker or Pen Boss to apply your third color of EP, and heat set.
Note: If you don't have a VersaMarker or Penboss, apply tiny, thin amounts of generic white glue (must be thinly applied), and then apply your EP.

Card closed:


Opened Card laying flat before placing in easel card "stance":





It was my first attempt at using the "out of the bounds nesties" technique. Honestly, I recommend using fewer images with this technique if you are a first time tryer-outer.   (all the flowers and cleaves shown on the white top panel were "cut out" using the technique. The flowers on the bottom white panel were fussy cut and added.



Another technique utilized was masking - lots and lots of masking!


A close up of the sentiment in its pretty font, fitting in the smallest of punches or die cuts:


Thanks for sharing my enjoyment of this new stamp set!
And thanks to Miss Stampin' Maggie and the Staff at SNS for creating it!

This card is submitted to the following fabulous challenges:

  1. ABC All Beautiful Cards - #33 "Summer"
  2. Bunny Zoe's Crafts - June Challenge Wings (M) - (5 stamped and colored butterflies)
  3. Created With Love - #46 "Favorite Things" (flowers and butterflies - love 'em!)
  4. Lady Annes Challenges - #3 The Great Outdoors (M) - (a fantasy garden)
  5. Tammy's Scraping' Corner - #67 Anything with Wings - (5 stamped and colored butterflies)
  6. Nana Vic's Challenge - "Anything Goes" (M) - (fond farewell wahhhhhhh!)
  7. Pin-Spirational Challenges - #62 (pinspiring picture) - yellow, floral
  8. Animal Friends Challenge - #3 - Butterflies or Beetles (P1/15) (5 stamped and colored butterflies)
  9. Heck of a Challenge - June Bingo (P1) center row - yellow, die cuts, green


Sparkle N Sprinkle Products:
"Dahlia" Rubber Stamp Set #500
Nature's Butterfly Stamp #3661-467A
    or set 467 "Nature"
Tuxedo Black Memento Ink (#712353259003)
VersaMark Ink (#712353310018)
Embossing Powders:

Other Products:

  • Prismacolor Pencils (not watercolor)
  • Cardstock: White, Black, Daffodil Delight, Green
  • Spellbinders: Labels One Grands, Grand Decorative Labels One, Foliage S4-328, Labels Nineteen
  • Adhesives: Aileen's Quick Dry, Dimensionals
  • Ink: Aqua Dye Base
Always Warm Flowery Hugs,

47 comments:

Shanna Shands said...

I think this is my most favorite card you have made. This is truly breathing taking and so detailed! beautiful

Shanna Shands said...

I think this is my most favorite card you have made. This is truly breathing taking and so detailed! beautiful

Shelby said...

You've created quite a gorgeous garden of Dahlias in this card!! I love how you've used the flowers and the exquisite design you've made. Great card

Shelby

KarinsArtScrap said...

wow Donna this is so stunning I love it, beautiful coloured and design.

greetings karin

Sue said...

WOW!! Donna, this is absolutely stunning.
I love the Dahlia's and your colouring is perfect. The way you have arranged the images and the frames you have used look wonderful.
A truly inspiring creation
hugs Sue xx

brenda said...

What a beautiful fusions of flowers and colour to greet me first thing in the morning Donna.

I even called hubby from his office to look at this one as he is a lovely of Dahlias and especially yellow ones.

The layering is so effective and the little hints of sparkle really draw the eye. All in all totally beautiful.

B x

Eret said...

Donna, I could spend hours to watch your card. So fabulous layering of images and beautiful coloring. Really stunning card. Love your bright yellow flowers and multi-color sparkly leaves. Amazing easel card!
Hugs
Eret

Silvis Kreativstube said...

Hallo liebe Donna,

ich bin überwältigt von dieser wunderschönen Gestaltung. Die Dahlien sehen grandios aus. Deine Gestaltung gefällt mir sehr gut. Vielen Dank auch für das Tutorial und ich freue mich über die Teilnahme an der Animal Friends Challenge. Ich hoffe es geht dir inzwischen besser. Ganz liebe Grüße Hugs Silvi

Pat K said...

Absolutely stunning card Donna. I'm so impressed with your skills on colouring with pencils. Fabulous creation. hugs, Pat K x

Chris Hanselman said...

Donna, amazing and stunning. I absolutely love it. The flowers! The heat embossing! The die cut! Love it all. Thanks for joining our Favorite Things Challenge at Created with Love Challenges.

~~Chris

Dreja said...

Eine großartige Karte. Ganz wundervoll gemacht.

Danke für deine Teilnahme bei den Animal Friends.

LG Dreja

Unknown said...

Very beautiful card, stamp and awesome colours. When you make a card you sure know how to make a card...love this De...hope you are well..luv annie xxxxx

Becky said...

Beautiful! You always make such beautiful cards, and they are so labor intensive, if I made them I'd never want to send them to anyone. But I bet anyone who receives one would treasure it forever. Thanks for sharing.

Shona Erlenborn said...

Well you certainly did this set proud Donna. It was one I didn't ask for, but I think I might be putting it on my wish list, after seeing your masterpiece! Such an intricate piece, I know it must have taken hours to achieve, but the result is absolutely stunning! ... and it must also mean your feeling better - that's the best part!

Anne Temple said...

This is so amazing! Absolutely stunning! Love every little detail. I'm not sure anyone could do justice to this stamp set now - you've set the bar so high :-). It's already on my wish list though.

Sharon said...

Love your card, the yellow is so pretty and cheerful. Thank You for sharing with us at Lady Anne's Challenges. I hope we see you again soon.
Sharon
Lady Anne's Stamp Challenge
Lady Anne's: NanaVic's Challenge

Karalee said...

Wow! Just gorgeous all the way around. The colors are so vibrant.

Kitt said...

Donna, what a beautiful card and thanks for the step by step photo how too. Well done! Thanks for joining us at {Pin}spirational this week.

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Wow Donna what a gorgeous creation! The Dahlias are stunning with the colouring and your decoupage work. The triple embossing/shading on the leaves is awesome, I've never seen that technique, what a great idea. The layers of die cuts continue to add beauty the entire design. I hope you are doing well, Hugs, Shirleyx

Karenladd said...

Donna, this is just spectacular! I love the way the color pencils work and I am going to have to try using gamsol with my Prisma pencils. Beautiful colors and great embellishments!

Jean Bullock said...

Wonderful easel card. I loved your tutorial on the Prismacolor pencils. Very well explained. I had no choice but to pin this beautiful card. http://pinterest.com/pin/415386765601396519/

pam said...

Amazing card Donna, love your Dahlias which are coloured beautifully, fantastic easel card, love these dies.
pam

Jennifer said...

What an absolutely stunningly beautiful card, I just love everything about it, thanks for sharing. Hugs, Jen :-) x
Krafty Keepsakes

Chrisboldo said...

Great Card! Thanks for joining us over at CWLC Blog.

Chris B - DT

Planetsusie said...

Hi Donna - you have just brought a tear to my eye with this one! I never see a dahlia without thinking of my beloved Nan - she (and my grandpa) used to grow these in their little garden and I can remember the flower heads being the size of dinner plates!!! They were HUGE! I just love this card because of how it represents those flowers, they are beautiful.

Hugs to you Sue Pxxx

PS Will post your glue next week.

rosie said...

stunning. love the colour x

Carol Hurlock said...

Wowie Donna you outdid yourself with this exquisite card. And yes, I can see your love for Dehlia's in every exquisite detail. You have brought this beautiful flower to life on this magical card. I am in awe of it's beauty. Your talent is sensational. Even that little butterfly is magical. I love the layers and the glittered leaves. Truly amazing. I will be looking for this stamp at Sparkle and Sprinkle when I go to the CKC in Jacksonville in September. It will be my first purchase...lol As I too have a thing for floral stamps. You did good girl suggesting this stamp.
Bear Hugs,
Carol

NanaConnie said...

Donna, this is gorgeously stunning! WOW. I don't have enough superlatives to even tell you how much I love this card. Magnificent work on the dimension, especially with the leaves and outside the box technique. Maybe the best thing I can say is that I'm so inspired, I'm going to go buy this stamp set! Hugs, my friend.

Wendy L said...

So very beautiful thanks for joining us at Lady Annes Challenge this month, xxx

maria's knutselplezier said...

What a great card !!Love the beautifull flowers and the easel card form, Love the colour of flowers and the butterflies!!

Greetings,
Maria

cotnob said...

This is absolutely beautiful Donna, fabulous shape and design, and your flowers and butterflies are gorgeous. I love the dimension you have created and your colouring is brilliant.
I hope you are on the mend and feeling a little better now.
Pauline
x

creativearts said...

The dahlias are so stunning! You have made a garden of love. So glad you are feeling better and back to your cards. I'm sure SNS is proud of this card!

Unknown said...

Simply beautiful! You out did yourself with this one...so much beautiful gorgeous detail!

Sue from Oregon said...

Goodness Gracious-is this ever a masterpiece! I bet it took forever-Whoever gets this baby better display it forever!!!Absolutely stunning!

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- this is amazing!!! Your coloring is just beautiful!!!

Leslie Miller said...

This is a real work of art, Donna! Gorgeous flowers with your skilled Prismacolor shading, and all that equally skilled EP application -- wow! I'm just going to have to take the time to try this technique someday. My goodness, look at all those flowers! Well, you know how I love a beautiful garden, and you've created one on your card. Love how you've propped up the easel with the leaf and butterfly. Simply magnificent all over! Beautiful stamp set. I know they'll be glad you put them to the task!

Doreen said...

Eine wunderschöne Karte. Vielen Dank für die Teilnahme bei Animal Friends. Liebe Grüße Doreen

Patty Gorka said...

WOW, this is just amazing! What a beautiful card! Thanks for playing along with us at ABC Challenges!

Dawn said...

Hi Donna, It is so good to see you are able to create again!! And your card is stunning - every single detail is amazing. I love the beautiful dahlias and your colouring looks so pretty. Such a great effect you created with the glittery ep on the leaves too. And the design and detailing is gorgeous. Going to check out your tutorial now :)

Hugs, Dawn

Sue said...

It's a garden in a card! How beautiful and so much work and heart put into your card (as you always do). This is absolutely stunning, and with the easel can be displayed so beautifully. Love all the fussy cutting and layers of leaves and flowers and glitter...love it all...

Hugs
Sue

Unknown said...

Beautiful thanks for playing along at a HOAC.
Chris x

Unknown said...

Stunning card, beautiful colours, thank you for joining us on our Great Outdoor Challenge at Lady Anne's Hugs Tania (DT)xx

Shannon White said...

OMGoodness!! I Just LOVE your Gorgeous Creations Miss Donna!! Wow!! So many fabulous details and your design and Wonderful Dahlias are over the Moon Beautiful! Such Super inspiration! 8-)

Big hugs
Shannon

NanaConnie said...

Hey, Lady, I just noticed that this card was chosen as one of the DT Favorites at Heck of a Challenge. Congratulations! Well deserved.
BTW, I bought this Dahlia set from SnS after I saw your card and it arrived sometime laste alst week. I didn't get to the post office until yesterday so haven't had a chance to play with it but it's really a fantastic set. So glad you asked SnS for it. Thanks tons! :-D NC

Monica said...

I love dahlias too... there is something very majestic about them... In India they bloom during winter and early, early spring ( I think ) and many clubs and institutions grow prize winning varieties.
Your dahlias are simply FANTASTIC and I love how you did the layering. So well coloured too. I have just acquired my first set of 132 Prisma pencils from the US so am excited about it even though it was a bit of a dampener when I realized I had paid far more than what Blick was selling them for. Never mind, done is done.

I think this card is one of my all time faves from you since I just love flowers.

Much love,
M

Shea said...

BRILLIANT, both technically and with your many ideas and inspiration! Your sense of color and design is truly second to none, and I know I wax uber enthusiastic about your cards and leave way too long comments, but they deserve them and I can't help myself. This one is a feast for the eyes what with all the gorgeous colors, the wonderful techniques (I've never tried shading with EP but certainly will now!), and the extravagant layers of the flowers and leaves! Simply brilliant, and I could drown in these images. This one's getting Pinned too!!

Unknown said...

YOWZA! That is my word for you and your creations....I think the translation is self explanatory! These Dahlias are over the top gorgeous...like WOW!!! Love the colors and the depth and dimension you achieved here. GREAT easel card.....LOVE your Post writing!